Friday, August 20, 2010

Answer #166 - Yes, Adventure Boy fights Hornets in a Bee Suit

White faced hornets. Go to fullsize image The kind that can single-sting knock over a horse.  They were nesting on the side of the barn,Go to fullsize image near the open window which leads directly to the Assistant Engineer's apartment, said Assistant Engineer being among the few folks who swell up and possibly die once stung by a stinging insect.

Eradication was called for.
Go to fullsize image
Hence, Adventure Boy pulled out the bee suit and the duct tape and attempted said eradication.

Oh God Oh God Oh God, what are you doing?  I ask, panicked.

Don't worry! I read on-line that you might get 3-5 stings in the seams of the suit, so I've got duct tape. And then you drive up near me, in the car, and keep a can of hornet killer handy, and then if things go pear-shaped, you can roll down the window and spray me down. No need to kill the hornets if I can just walk the nest into the woods!
Go to fullsize image
Oh God Oh God Oh God, I repeat, more panicked, though I love Adventure Boy's respect for life in all forms.

Um, I need to interject that if you're surrounded by 500 stinging hornets and things go badly, we'll be well past the point of hornet spray.  However, I've brought my camera, says our visiting friend - who's visiting simply because the hornet eradication is happening.

Did you bring the camera so you can put the clip on Jackass?, asks another friend.Go to fullsize image

I laugh, nervously. Or for the coroner, or the police, er...?

But we go outside, Adventure Boy in the bee suit, me, nauseous, in the car with the camera man and various onlookers.  He's tentative at first, as the hornets begin hitting him like BBs from a BB gun.  Eventually he makes his way, slices down the nest and, in a tornado of hornets, walks it to the woods.

We captured it on film.

Damned hornets are rebuilding on the barn.

Damned hornets.

3 comments:

  1. Heard the comment function was having problems. This is a test.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, your comment account works fine. It's just that I was too stung'ed to comment... er, stunned!!!!

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got stung 3 times last week by a yellow jacket. My buddy Phil turned over a nest in the forrest last summer and collapsed in his yard from multiple stings, barely made it to the hospital in time.. It took awhile for him to come to grips with just how close to death he came...
    My son discovered a hornets nest over the compost bin by walking into it about 12 years ago, stung his eyelid something fierce.. My reverence for life runs deep but don't f**k with my kid.
    I got out the hose and washed it away at full pressure blast.
    Looking forward to the new CD!
    Chessley
    End of hornets, end of story.

    ReplyDelete

Comment and I swear I'll read it.