Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Answer # 49 - Drinks too much and nude songs writes she

Since my record label is Dutch, I occasionally have to use Google Translate for reviews. This is a comical, fun romp through ridiculous but memorable translations.

Today's Review from DeStem - (a big Daily Newspaper in Holland):



The American singer / pianist proved its three previous CDs not only to possess a beautiful voice, she writes songs about sensitive issues that all human life is so pleasant, valuable or difficult to make. Also always pays special attention to cover and concept. The 15 tracks on Chocolate Paper Suites are grouped into "suites" of ever 3 songs linked together in terms of theme and / or images. She drew inspiration for these songs from the works of Spanish poet and playwright Federico GarcĂ­a Lorca, the British naturalist Charles Darwin and poet Dylan Thomas from Wales. This provides sensitive soft sung songs, a nice warm mix of folk, jazz, pop and blues heard. Detor is accompanied by a large number of musicians who dare to ignore its pretty songs, sometimes Carole King from the seventies recall.

Of this, I can draw that the reviewer likes the album. And that he seems to think I'm channeling Carole King. And while I am a huge fan of the songstress, I don't think I channel her, though I look a bit like her. In the hair, anyway.


But how do you control who influences you in a world where music is everywhere you go?

You don't. You can't. For all I know Carole King is behind everything I've ever written. I doubt it, but then again, I believe this same reviewer once compared me to Karen Carpenter. And where you gonna go with that? Is it conceivable that this reviewer hasn't listened to anything since video killed the radio star?

I don't know.

But I do know that the on-line translations are big fun... my favorite, from 'Cover Their Eyes' , hits the nail on the head: 'Drinks Too Much and Nude Songs Writes She.'

And scene.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry for the multiple postings, folks. The html was messed up. I fixed it. (believe it or not) - K

    ReplyDelete
  2. My think is like to ignore the pretty songs her too! Is like a lot Olivia Newton-John song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya. I 'm still fighting off my Linda Ronstadt influences but I just can't shake them. I'm beginning to wish I had fully embraced them earlier in life because 1. Linda Rondstadt rarely performed in public because of debilitating stage fright and I could have beat her at that, and 2. Who's the contemporary Linda Rondstadt? Nobody.

    I coulda been a contender...

    ReplyDelete

Comment and I swear I'll read it.