Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Answer #150 - United Airlines Demon Spawn

If you're going to play Kerrville, you have to play some of the 'campfires.'

There aren't actually campfires because of the dry season, but there are song circles.  Everywhere.  Sometimes people are dressed as pirates singing pirate songs.

There are 'invitation only' song circles, there are song circles comprised solely of famous writers and other song circles comprised solely of infamous writers.  I sat at two song circles with some lovely people - all of them talented.. and I played the accordion. It was challenging, because I don't play accordion on much of what I write, and yet, there I was, playing the accordion because carrying a piano through the woods is just impractical.


All in all, the festival was great, the people were great, the weather was hot, my hair was huge, the bugs didn't come in droves, the food was plentiful and I made it home, despite United Airlines' attempts to send me to Denver and the single nastiest  'customer service' representative (United Airlines, for the record) I've ever had the displeasure of having to associate with. Luckily, I learned that if you hang up on a nasty agent, you can call back and talk to someone else - and if you cry, they might actually let you get on a plane headed in the general vicinity of the airport your ticket says you're heading to.  Still, I probably won't be flying United Airlines again any time soon, even though the guy I cried at was much nicer than the demon spawn I originally attempted to speak with, though I didn't speak demon spawn and that may have been the problem.

What happened to the airline industry that customer service became the least of their worries?

Ah well... best to just quietly accept the new paradigm, eh?  No use crying over $7 mixed drinks and flight attendants who'd rather be working on that screenplay than hocking snack boxes.  Credit cards only.

1 comment:

  1. You have to remember, it's "united we stand" not "United we fly". dividing the customer from their money while giving the impression that value is being given in return is all part of the current paradigm... The fact of the matter is that the airlines are in such deep doo-doo that they would prefer it if you gave them your money, with no expectation they will do anything for you, and walked away - To a bus, or to the highway to stick out your thumb.
    Less frustration for you both that way.
    Chessley
    Yes, I am still here, thanks fer askin'

    ReplyDelete

Comment and I swear I'll read it.