Monday, June 28, 2010

Answer #154 - Sometimes, I look through a keyhole and miss the whole world

It started with the Dean Koontz novel.  Yes, I relented after the Hiassen and went with scary mystery involving labrador retrievers and evil, pointy-nailed platinum blonde sub-demons.  Yes, crap fiction, still, if you can get past the ridiculous attempts at artistry in the descriptive language, he can put a story together.

That said, and excuses aside, it all started with the dogs in the story.

And love.  And this idea that love is the key, and that it should be multiplied and given without expectation.  The way dogs give it.







And the hosts for the evening were both artists.  He, as it turns out, specializes in the wisdom and art of dogs.  Eric Keller.  His link is to the right.  And there was a plant - a strange cactussy-looking thing, and I swore, as I washed my hands in the home of my hosts, that it was reaching out to me.  So I reached back and touched it's fingers.

And why haven't I reached back before?  Did I see the extended arms?

And the Japanese carved statue.  Was it a woman or a man?  There was writing all over it. Hirigana? Katakana? I don't know which, I can't discern... but in the state of anthpomorphism in which I viewed the inanimate, I thought it looked like it needed someone to pat it's head.  So I patted it's head.

And then I played a show and met many nice people.  And Eric's wife, Laurie Brown, a jeweler and actress, showed me the website of her artist son in East Berlin.  Daniel Keller.  His link is to the right.  And his work is love and pushing love and screaming love and branding love on leather couches and dripping love down fountains that light and stream when the good fight is being fought, and then she handed me a necklace that she'd made.

A silver chain, at the end of which is a beautiful little metal envelope covered by a metal hand with a heart set upon it.

And inside, on a metal letter, was the word.
  I'll drive home from Chicago tonight with love on my mind.  And I'll plot the revolution.

3 comments:

  1. "Love" she said. "Drive" she said. "Hold me while I die" she said... A woman sure can ask for a lot.
    Been thinking a bit on the Darwin's and the fear that ensued between Charles and Emma because of Charles's work.... Emma was afraid that she and Charles would not spend eternity together in heaven, and Charles's fear that, by marrying his first cousin, he had narrowed his own gene pool and not given his children the best life possible, that maybe his daughter Annie's death was of his own making. Deep discovery awakens pain and clothes them with bright pageantry of revelation but the pain it's self is old and human, there is nothing new that humans do that can exclude our old friends pain and guilt, who evolve with the changes.
    Good thing we have love and friendship.
    Chessley

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to visit Daniel's art site but the server here at work deemed its content sexually explicit, wouldn't let me see it and sent me to my room to read Nancy Drew books.

    ReplyDelete

Comment and I swear I'll read it.