Sunday, January 17, 2010

Answer #12 - Actually, I'm channeling Pete Seeger as I arrange and rearrange...

From a song that never made an album:

I got a list of influences when people ask - 
starting with the guy I listened to last
sounds and hooklines ten miles long.  
Yeah, everyone I know can write a pop song

everyone I know is singing somewhere
everyone I know is breathing thin air
everyone I know is writing it down
everywhere I go is everywhere I've been...
 

My good friend, Marc, showed up tonight.  I got off a plane this afternoon and he was at my door this evening.  I'd forgotten he was coming to play a show in town.  He's a great writer - drove from Knoxville with a guitar and a laptop. 

We talked a while about the business, like you do... we drive and play and write and hope.  Grab the lines when they float in the air above us, get in our cars and drive some more.

We fly blind.  We follow fret lines and road signs.  Gather snap shots and matchbooks.  Keep 'em in coffee cans under our beds and then hope they whisper to us while we sleep.

So, is it just me, or am I suddenly channeling Bob Seger?

Tomorrow's Monday.  Someone else is bound to show up. One point for cleverly linking Bob Seger to Pete Seeger.

1 comment:

Comment and I swear I'll read it.