Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Answer #14 - The Cool Uniforms

The images from Haiti are overwhelming.  I read that Pat Robertson announced the disaster was due to the country having been 'cursed' - as Haiti had signed a 'pact to the devil.'

Idiot.  Nothing drives me to the height of indignance, and concurrently to retreat to some distant cave, far away from the idiots that drive the frenzied fringe to further ignorance-based flipflappery than, well, idiotic statements like his.  But look at the great press he got.  Idiot.  Idiot with lots of money.  Maybe he even believes it.

My question is:
What would be the point of signing a pact to the Devil if he/IT weren't a powerful super-being who could protect his evil faithful followers from an earthquake?

I mean, surely there are perks to signing pacts to the devil.  I thought people who sold their souls to the devil got a handful of years of decadent splendor and the company of countless virgins or something before they had to descend into the Pit of Despair.  The Haitians have hardly had this.  They've had years and years of suffering under unrelenting repression, corruption, injustice and devastating natural disasters.  While the non devil-pact-signing nations have enjoyed relative splendor and the company of virgins, as it turns out, they've also been wacked by larger forces (in recent memory, 911 & Katrina. Just for starters).

Maybe Mr. Robertson hadn't noticed.   Or maybe he'd attribute these God Smitings to people like me, who can't be having with the spread of true evil by way of intolerance and shameful irresponsibility.  People like me who don't send him money and don't vote in the candidates he backs.

But I'm preaching to the choir.  And I can't think of a damn thing I can do to help the Haitians.  Money funneled away, supplies buried in red tape, and the sound of the suffering is deafening.  If anyone has suggestions...

For now I'll pray like Pat prays.  Just not to the same place.

1 comment:

  1. I think Pat Robertson might really know if the Haitians made a pact with the Devil, because I'm *pretty* *sure* that Pat Robertson *is* the Devil in every meaningful sense. Rush Limbaugh, who is crying the same line, too. Could they NOT be the devil? Tricking people from doing good. Encouraging them to act selfishly and with callous indifference to all other living beings. Expecting a certain level of worship. Bloated with evil. There is not enough suffering in the world for those two men to suffer that they might pay for the evil they do. My hope is that someday someone will embed a conscience in their feeble brains and they will realize, and be forced to live with, what they have done.

    ReplyDelete

Comment and I swear I'll read it.