Thursday, April 29, 2010

Answer 112 - Aargh. Maties.

Oh the barrels of whiskey rolled over the decking
And we watched the amber sink
No eulogy we shrank back
From the loss of it
Oh and the cost of it
Air for our supper
and water for tea

Why are the gulls flying low, flying low?
There’s nothing to eat and there’s
water below,
And there’s water above
And the one thing I’ll is say is
Poseidon is drunk
while we’re wailing away


So why the hell does some goofy sea shanty pop into existence while I'm attempting to write a serious song?  Seriously, what the hell am I supposed to do with this?


3 comments:

  1. Very dark.Maybe the Gods are telling you to write a really great toe tapper.Unconcious thoughts or dreams,usually mean the opposite of what we believe.
    GQ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder what kinds of things went through Keith Reid's mind when he penned "Salty Dog"? ...perhaps a flood of unconscious fluids lapping at the shores of his noodle began as a shanty?...one wonders...and what a great song! At least I think so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You once admitted that you "Swear like a sailor"; Something I like about you. I grew up on sea shanties, my dad was a sailor in the Navy, great memories from my childhood revolve around sitting on the front porch on park ave. singing "Keeper of the Eddingstone Light" and "Golden Vanity". A recent collection of Pirate songs has some great ones selected by Johnny Depp and Gore Verbinski including a great cover of "The good ship venus" (The dirtiest song evvver!) Skip the train robbery idea, I now suggest a cd of sea songs! Better yet, thieves of land, sea and air!
    Chessley

    ReplyDelete

Comment and I swear I'll read it.