Thursday, April 8, 2010

Answer 91 - Because without cats, there is solitude

In Hannover there are doors separating every room, closing each off from the hall way.

This is a strange feeling, walking the empty hall in a house full of people.. never knowing who might be sitting in the kitchen, kissing by the stove... drinking milk right from the carton... I tread lightly, and peak through the crack before pushing my way through and into the next space.

Why is each room shut off from every other room?

This would be an especially difficult existence for a house cat, I think, unless there were a litter box, food, and water in every room.  For all I know, in some houses, this is the case.

Or maybe every door in some of these Hannover flats has a cut-out cat door in the base.  Since we're in Europe, they're probably beautiful and ornate... form and function.


In the bedroom we're staying in, Bernie has a babygrand piano and a love seat in front of a wood stove.  Naturally, I assume that he sips brandy and reads Bertolt Brecht on long winter nights.



"In the asphalt city I'm at home. From the very start
Provided with every last sacrament:
With newspapers. And tobacco. And brandy
To the end mistrustful, lazy and content..."


Bernie has no cat.

1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    Like reading your blog! We'll go to your concert in Winschoten saturday (oh, that's tomorrow :-)!) I'm listening to the Mudshow cd right now to get the concert feeling! Looking forward to see you!
    Then I can say : Tot Morgen! (See you tomorrow!)

    Bye,

    Gea

    ReplyDelete

Comment and I swear I'll read it.