Friday, March 5, 2010

Answer #59 - If someone brings a sledgehammer

 

Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold. But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow. ~Douglas Pagels

 

  Of course, that day won't be today because I'm driving to Madison to play a show.  Also won't be tomorrow, because I'll be driving from Madison to Giltner, Nebraska.  Probably not Sunday because I'll be driving from Giltner to Hesston, Kansas.  And Monday's pretty much out because I'll be driving from Hesston to Bloomington, Indiana.

   But Tuesday - it's me and the Leprechaun.  And hopefully the little guy'll bring whiskey.

   If I'm lucky, I will have scored a copy of Into Thin Air on CD - by Jon Krakauer for the journey, as Arbutus will be along on this trip and has no tolerance for crap pulp fiction.

   Krakauer is the finest writer in this genre I've ever read.  He's the Ken Burns of true story adventure writers - seriously ground-breaking.  I believe Arbutus will approve, though I can't be sure.  Her tastes are discriminating, and it's only going to take the slightest hint of pretense or histrionic and she'll put in the ear plugs and read something else.  Still, I'm willing to risk it.  I can live with her disapproval because she brings pepitas (pumpkin seeds) that she roasts up herself for the road.  It all works out.

    And though I will miss the obvious plot device and stereotypes of crap fiction, I have an on-line coupon for 30% off any single item at one of those gigantor book stores that are in every shopping mall between here and Paris.

    So.. it's the road & book on CD today.   

 Will I actually make time for Lucky Charms and whiskey on Tuesday?  

   I don't know.   I do know that I'll have stories to tell.  Maybe I'll wait til Wednesday to write them down. 

   Problem is, though, I'm more likely to try to climb the rainbow with an ice pick than gently slide down it.

   Baby steps.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment and I swear I'll read it.