Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Answer #70 - Talk to the hand

It's not over, but it's closer to being over.  I feel better than I have.  Just in case, I have an antibiotic prescription next to my horse-shoe travel pillow and my personal inflatable germ bubble in which to encase myself on the plane.

I don't really have one of those bubbles.  I wish I did.

Our last flight on American Airlines was pretty bad.  One television set for all of us in the cattle car - and we were forced to watch CBS's chit chat about their coming television series.  Also Mama Mia.  Not fair.  Not right.  Don't get me wrong, I'm an Abba fan, but Mama Mia was torture.  At many thousand miles above the world... that much worse.  Northwest airlines has a screen behind each seat and you can pick whatever you want to watch.  Also, a little mid-flight yoga video, so you can stretch in your seat.  I like them.  They're nice.

Yes, I know this sounds so whiny (especially in light of the 'Everything's Amazing and No One's Happy' guy ) - but come on! Network TV stars chatting about their new shows?  ack. And you can't look away!?  You can't.  It's there.. they're jabbering.  You turn the volume down, but then you're reading their lips and slowly going insane...


Anyway - Adventure Boy's a fishatarian, and specified a vegetarian meal pre-flight.  The flight attendant, (who strangely resembled that Kate Gosselin person) looked at him as if he were Jo Jo the Village Idiot Dung Collector.  Shook her head, shrugged, and said, 'nothing we can do about that.  your options are chicken or beef.'

Wow..  were we incensed and aggravated.  And Adventure Boy is pretty scary when really aggravated, so eventually, they found some pasta somewhere, and grudgingly handed it over.

Later they handed out 'snack boxes.'  When I inquired as to the contents of the box, just to see if it was full of summer sausage and burger bites and pig on a stick, the pissy (and I don't use this term lightly) male flight attendant said, and I quote, 'a snack.'

At which point, we burst out laughing.  Because it was funny.  You don't often see a caricature walking...

Flying is different than it used to be.  It's more the 'you got another option to get to where you're going in 3 hours?  I don't think so.  Why don't you sit down and shut up and eat what you're given.  In case you hadn't noticed, I have the authority of the federal government, you economy-class-peon!  Not interested in your customer service issues - talk to the hand'  philosophy of personal interactions.

And what are you gonna do?  Don't have another option. Guess I'll talk to the hand. 

Here's to hoping that Delta, who bought Northwest, is infinitely better tomorrow.  And don't mind me, I'm sure it's still the Nyquil talking...

3 comments:

  1. Major Tom & Adventure Boy: Yell when you're back on terra firma. Until then (fingers in ears) lalalalalala-a-a-a-a.

    Ground Control @ Duke

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to eat my way around the airline menus. Vegetarian is usually not all that good...but Hindu is excellent, especially on British Air. Next time I have a long flight it will be Muslim cuisine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And what about the screaming babies! I was on a flight to London and a toddler SCREEEEEAMED the whole way. Air travel has become the WORST form of travel. They have us over a barrel and they know it. I'm predicting that flight rage becomes a trend very soon.

    ReplyDelete

Comment and I swear I'll read it.