Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Answer 84 - A decent burial followed by a Good Irish Wake!

At what point does 'honoring the animal' cross the line into 'I just really want to keep my ivory-covered car because it's totally bitchin'?'  

Since I've been called to the carpet, and I love arguing more than I love gouda in Gouda - Here's the thing: it's not that I'm a fanatic (mostly) - try not to be about much of anything, other than coffee in the morning and occasionally politics.. and bad poetry.. er..and... Well, anyway, even a fool like me knows that you can't be part of the First World [insert orchestral flourish with tom tom and gong] and not participate in the killing fields, on many levels. 


But we all have to pick our battles. Elephants are mine. I can't tell you why - I just have an affinity for them, and if you feel strongly about a thing, shouldn't you try to honor the thing? Like that Julia woman in the redwood tree, remember?  
  Sure you look like a touchy-feely granola crunching hippie, but the tree can't speak for itself. Neither can the elephant, last I heard.


Since I've made a point of trying to support the elephant population, it just seems contradictory for me to participate in the ivory trade. right? That trade has never have been honorable, so I see no honor in the owning of the ivory. I don't honor my leather walls (it turns out all my walls are covered in leather - thought it was pleather), nor my harp seal throw pillows (thought they were mink). I don't honor my mink napkin rings and matching spittoon (knew they were mink).


And there's a question for you - Do you keep the mink spittoon and harp seal throw pillows in order to honor the impossibly supple and soft furry animals, or do you give them a decent burial?


The way I figure it - if it turns out so, I replace the ivory bits with other bits, give the ivory bits an honorable burial, and I still have my accordion and my self-respect. But no worries, folks, I'll still be buying all my clothes from Indonesian sweat shops, and I only wear shoes made from the skins of baby alligators. 


Quippy is better than soppy. But I'm still getting rid of the ivory keys.*


*However, if it turns out they're made of bengal tiger claws - OH YEAH! It's back to E-Bay for my little Silvetti.

Baby needs a new set of snakeskin coasters!

2 comments:

  1. Interesting argument, follow your heart is always the best way. It could be said that the deed is done, the ivory is in play, the spirit of the elephant is at your fingertips, guiding your notes, giving voice to its cause. Certainly there's a song there worth considering. Which is the act that honers best? Removal and burial or acknowledgement and expression... Beware, as Ferron said, of your reason becoming diluted by reason it's self, it's your heart that must lead.
    Chessley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, there is always something to be said for a good wake!

    ReplyDelete

Comment and I swear I'll read it.