Saturday, March 13, 2010

Answer #66 - 42 (forty-two. and thanks for the fish)

Crocuses.  They're out.  Everybody's saying that... means Spring is coming to Indiana.

Somebody asked me, the other day, if I miss California.  Yes and no.  I miss the ocean - I don't miss the static nature of So. Cal - no seasons.  I don't miss living in one consistent season ranging from 'windbreaker to light sweater.'  But that's now, and who knows about the me down the road for whom this may be irresistibly appealing.

I wandered the world from the time I graduated college until I settled in Indiana.  Moved every 2 years.
                                                                                                             

No, this isn't a travelogue.  It's just that it occurred to me, when answering the California question, that I'd still be wandering the world if I weren't a traveling musician in a traveling mudshow.  Touring is what allows me to stay in one place, and not pack up and wander away every two years.

And that's a revelation of sorts.

This revelation may seem more, er, revelatory, because I'm loopy still on cold medicine (but feeling up for tonight's show, which is a good thing) - but still, I'll probably write it down in my own personal Book of Revelations (surely you've got one?  a Book of Revelations, I mean) - to look back on, years down the road, so I can size up whether or not I acted upon the revelation, or let it slide by, unactedupon... and then connect the dots accordingly to the events that followed.

Why would anyone want to do this? (you ask)



Well, I intend to create a flowchart of my entire life, every single event, revelation, decision, and step, when I 'retire' and have the time.  I think it'll be fun and educational for my only marginally interested progeny.  But still - I'll see the shape of the whole thing, of a whole life - and will undoubtedly find the answer that Douglas Adams claims is '42' but that I know is otherwise.

And won't that be a revelation?!  A little on the Beautiful Mind side of things, but whether or not I have entire rooms filled with charts and equations that no one understands but me is my business
                                                                                                                                
                                                          For now, I take comfort in knowing that, in those minutes when the suitcase I always keep packed under the bed begins making a ruckus, I have had the revelation that I don't have to take it out and put it in the car and drive West, because I'll almost certainly be driving West soon anyway...

And in Indiana, the crocuses are blooming.  I like it here.          

3 comments:

  1. Indiana likes you here, too :-)

    --Seán "As Fucking Hoosier as You Can Get" Connelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Krista, it's me, Frank from Germany, you know me, the one you once imagined as a man with a beard... :-)

    I wonder where your wanderlust comes from. Was it part of your upbringing? Are your parents responsible for that restlessness?

    Bye,
    Frank

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are a reverse of one another; I left Indiana and went to Southern California. We are the same because I left California for... Well because, the weather's static cling is a small part of because yet there is still because.
    My magnolia is in bloom.
    chessley

    ReplyDelete

Comment and I swear I'll read it.