Monday, May 10, 2010

Answer 122 - Let them eat Cake!

The gazebo fell down again while we were gone.  Is this the 5th time?  We're not sure.

A friend gave it to us a few years ago.  It's an aluminum thing - was a floor model at a Target so he got it cheap - with a canvas top and little hooks for christmas lights to be strung about it.  Festive.

It didn't fall into the side of the car this time.  It has before.. hurled by Indiana windshears up and across the driveway. Despite its aluminum nature, it's heavy.  Takes 4 people to lift it and move it.  Well, 4 ordinary people.  Only takes one Adventure Boy and a series of pulleys and levers.

The canvas top has been torn off and re-sewed, re-glued, re-strung (not by me, because my mechanical skills are second only to those of the average house cat) - 3 times at least.

This year, Adventure Boy says, 'Why don't I just build a gazebo and stop resurrecting this thing?'

Out of wood, of course.  He'd build it out of wood. We're surrounded by the stuff here in the Ohio River Valley.  We have plenty of room.  He knows how to use a router and a belt sander.  Okay then...

Except that there are other priorities, other expenses, better ways to spend money than on something as bougeois as a gazebo, I tell myself.  Ah.. my Plebian sensibilities.  I can't really deny them, unless I look closely at my life:  Mirror mirror on the wall... oh.. there it is... the image coming clearer..  Well look at that!  I'm steeped in privilege.. snug in a big soft bed... stewed in organic soybeans.

Who am I kidding, I wonder?  

No one.  Sure, I might talk like a purveyor of cast-off car parts.. and Lord knows, I like a good bar fight as well as the next guy.. Still.  Eventually, if the world doesn't spin off to hell in a handbasket in my lifetime, (and the jury's out on that one) I'll probably hold the bucket of nails while Dave builds a gazebo.  Then I can eat my organic soybean stew outside in the light summer rain, wearing my North Face windbreaker and Dior mineral make-up with SPF 30.

"Let them eat cake!"- I'll call to Adventure Boy, as the dog and the neighbor dog who's perpetually at my house beg for scraps on the gazebo steps.  Because if I have a gazebo, by gods, my dog(s) will eat cake. 

2 comments:

  1. Why you gotta always be hatin' on housecats?

    ReplyDelete
  2. the world needs more gazebos. just sayin.

    ReplyDelete

Comment and I swear I'll read it.