Saturday, May 29, 2010

Answer #140 - Robert Service told me to do it.

Wine Bibber

I would rather drink than eat,
         And though I superbly sup,
Food, I feel, can never beat
         Delectation of the cup.
Wine it is that crowns the feast;
         Fish and fowl and fancy meat
Are of my delight the least:
         I would rather drink than eat.

Though no Puritan I be,
         And have doubts of Kingdom Come,
With those fellows I agree
         Who deplore the Demon Rum.
Gin and brandy I decline,
         And I shy at whisky neat;
But give me rare vintage wine,--
         Gad! I'd rather drink than eat.

Food surfeit is of the beast;
         Wine is from the gods a gift.
All from prostitute to priest
         Can attest to its uplift.
Green and garnet glows the vine;
         Grapes grow plump in happy heat;
Gold and ruby winks the wine . . .
         Come! Let's rather drink than eat. - Robert Service

What can I say?
As Adventure Boy heads off to an overnight with his buddies

Old Men With Guns

(I like to call it Guns & Beer), involving horseshoes, blow darts, knife throwing, and much libation - well, it's just a Robert Service weekend.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment and I swear I'll read it.