Sunday, May 16, 2010

Answer 128 - tattoo it on your arm

 The Dali Lama was in Bloomington this week.  He visits frequently, as he has family in town.  He also happens to be one of my personal heroes.  In spite of the darkness that continues to engulf Tibet, in the form of the Chinese government, he continues to fight the good fight, in the form of love, compassion, and above all, kindness.


A handful of quotes for a Sunday morning. 

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness. Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.

Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe.

If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them.

If you have a particular faith or religion, that is good. But you can survive without it.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

In the practice of tolerance, one's enemy is the best teacher.

It is necessary to help others, not only in our prayers, but in our daily lives. If we find we cannot help others, the least we can do is to desist from harming them.

It is very important to generate a good attitude, a good heart, as much as possible. From this, happiness in both the short term and the long term for both yourself and others will come.

Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive.

Old friends pass away, new friends appear. It is just like the days. An old day passes, a new day arrives. The important thing is to make it meaningful: a meaningful friend - or a meaningful day.

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.

Sleep is the best meditation.

The purpose of our lives is to be happy.

The roots of all goodness lie in the soil of appreciation for goodness.

The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis.

There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness.


How do I remember this wisdom when the next shiny object attracts my attention and some snotty grocery clerk gets my goat?

 









2 comments:

  1. Well this certainly addresses the kindness issue! Thank you for sharing this wisdom today. I suggest the acquisition of a tiny goat charm to wear as a reminder...a shiny one preferably - or one that bleats. I'm not sure I have enough real estate on my arm to tattoo all of that wise counsel on my limb. What is more my vision tends to blur at close distances.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my time we just shortened his name to DL. During the consecration of the Chorten on Snoddy road DL did a lecture at the auditorium at IU and from that lecture I have my favorite GL quote; In the midst of making a point, what point doesn't matter, DL suddenly seem to lose the thread of the narrative... Here he is, a man revered all over the world with an audience of hundreds hanging on to his every utterance and what does he say? With no real ego involved, as a human among equals he says (Waving his hand in the air as if to clear it.) "Lost in space"
    It was, for me, like reading the Tao De Ching's first page "The Tao that is Tao is not Tao" and realizing that there it is, there is no more to understand, you've hit the nail, it's set in the wall, to hit it anymore would be to useless to your purpose.
    The Tao that is Tao.... Lost in space.
    A quote I read last night "We have just enough religion to kill each other but not enough to love each other" - Robert Anton Willson
    Watch out for the ticks and chiggers in that tall grass.
    Chessley

    ReplyDelete

Comment and I swear I'll read it.