Sunday, May 2, 2010

Answer 114 - Maybe with a rolled up newspaper

Adventure Boy’s heart goes pitter-pat when he sees the snow-covered Rockies.  As we left Colorado, he sat in the window seat of the plane to Seattle so he could marvel at them.

Adventure Boy..  we have much in common, but not the switch in the brain that says, ‘Yee-haw! This looks like a sheer drop into oblivion and a painless but splattery death!  Let’s see how close to the edge we can get!’

We drove up the mountain to a place called Nederland, Colorado day before yesterday.. cool little hippie town (well, it takes a truckload of dollar bills to live there, so ‘hippie’ is a relative term.. but still, for all intents and purposes, crystal shops, natural foods and dread-locked residents.  I felt right at home).

As the snow began to fall, Adventure Boy says, ‘Hey! Let’s see if we can get up to the ski resort!’

‘Er.. okay.. ‘ I offer, somewhat timidly, which is not my nature but which is all I can muster when Adventure Boy gets that happy golden retriever twitch in his tail. 

How can I say no?

Anyway… the snow is falling, and then blowing, then we have no visibility – part of the road is covered in  a mixture of snow/ice and there are no guard rails.

   His ears are perked, his tail is wagging, he’s happy happy happy.

'Um.. okay, let’s go back,' I say, in my best maternal, white-knuckled tonality.

'What?! No way!  Come on!  Isn’t this exciting?!’

‘In a near-death experience way, I suppose.. so, er, let’s go back.’

'I’m not worried so you shouldn’t be,' as he pats my knee.

'That’s just what the doctor said to Deborah Winger in Terms of Endearment, right before he told her she had 6 months to live.'
 

'Ha-ha', he chuckled.  'Ha-ha', I groaned.

The road was long.  The ski resort was closed.  But as we slid back down the hill, Adventure Boy looked over at me, beaming, ‘See! We didn’t die!’

 

Nope.  We didn’t.  

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes it's more memorable than others to not die. I have noticed this on a few occasions when, I too, didn't die.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Close you eyes and pretend you are on the ocean. Do not try this if you are driving!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comment and I swear I'll read it.